Where Are You Going?

While most foreign travel does not require a license, travel to certain foreign locations may be governed by export control laws. For example, the U.S. Department of the Treasury regulations restrict certain financial transactions with Cuba, Iran, Sudan, North Korea, and Burma. Traveling abroad with certain controlled tangible items, software, technology or information may also require an export license. The Treasury Department has issued a general license that does allow travel to Cuba for some research activities and/or for attendance at an international conference under certain conditions.