Position Title: Marketing Administrative Assistant
Founded in 1997, Olin College is a selective, gender-balanced undergraduate engineering institution with a dual mission to educate exemplary engineering innovators and to lead the transformation of engineering education. Olin embraces “people to people” engineering: starting from understanding people and their needs, to designing solutions, to delivering new technologies and services to people and society at large. Olin’s innovative approach to engineering education erases disciplinary boundaries and encourages students to take control of their own learning. Olin students learn through project-based, collaborative activities and develop 21st century skills and perspectives by taking on authentic engineering challenges and entrepreneurial experiences. Olin has forged active partnerships with neighboring Babson and Wellesley Colleges and has co-designed transformative educational experiences with a broad range of collaborators around the globe.
Olin is seeking an energetic, organized and creative Marketing Assistant who will work directly with the chief marketing officer and director of marketing. This is a great opportunity for a growing professional to hone their marketing and communication skills while playing an important role in keeping the office organized and operating smoothly. There are two major functions of the position. First is to support the administrative needs of the Chief Marketing Officer and second to support key marketing efforts. As a key player of a fast-moving team, this position will have the opportunity to participate in strategic discussions, oversee many of their own initiatives, employ their creativity to break through the cluttered market and capture various audiences’ attention and engagement.
Administrative Functions (Approximately 33% of position):
- Co-manage the CMO’s calendar; jointly prioritize time commitments and assist the CMO in optimizing her schedule. Focus on recurring meetings with colleagues, large multi-person meetings and long-term meetings. CMO prefers to book many of her daily meetings to manage her schedule. The two meet weekly to review the schedule.
- Under supervision of CMO, prepare and complete financial reports and forms as required by the College. The position plays an important role in tracking office expenses against the team’s budget and working with the entire team to ensure that department comes in on budget and maximizes its resources. Pay office invoices and submit required monthly paperwork for Office (p-card charges) to Financial Affairs. This requires ability to learn financial system and familiarity with Excel.
- In CMO’s absence, ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to the appropriate staff member(s); as needed interpret requests and help implement action; make sure that information is furnished in timely manner; decide if a matter is of an important or urgent nature requiring notification.
- Occasional requests to prepare packages of information for guests and meetings. May be asked to attend meetings and write minutes.
Administrative Functions (Approximately 33% of position):
- Serve as frontline keeper of the brand identity by providing on-brand materials and visuals. Knowledge of design programs (Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign) a plus or willingness and proclivity to learn basic design.
- Keeping web pages up-to-date with current content.
- Engage in keeping social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and SnapChat – up to date with regular postings.
- Play a key role in internal communications, including serving as editor of weekly e-newsletter and college-wide announcements.
- Overseeing plasma screen postings, uploading and developing messaging with constituents.
- Organizing and managing stock photography files as well as hosting photo shoots. Familiarity and skills taking photos and videos, and editing, a plus.
- Special event planning skills, including development of online invitations, management of mailing lists, coordinating with facilities and food services, printing of name tags and staffing of events.
- Compose or assist in preparation of printed and electronic documents, reports and presentations with demand for engaging PowerPoint presentations.
- Serve as editor for others in department, producing final documents formatted with correct spelling, punctuation and grammar. Material may be technical and confidential in nature.
- This person is a full member of the professional staff and expected to be an active participation in team strategy meetings.
- Opportunity to oversee other marketing and communications projects as assigned.
- 2 – 5 years of professional experience, preferably as an administrative assistant or in marketing and communications. Will consider someone out of college with tremendous internship experience.
- B.A., communications, marketing, design, multi-media, or journalism major preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook and Excel). Expertise in computer design programs preferred.
- Highly organized and enthusiastic.
- Creative self-learner.
- Sound judgment with strong written and oral communications.
- Strong critical thinking and independent work skills.
- Previous experience with content management systems a plus.
- Expertise in social media highly desired as well as creative streak.
- Calm and enthusiastic disposition.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-discrimination/Affirmative Action Statement
In accordance with its own values and with federal and state regulations, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering does not discriminate in admission, programs, services or employment—including the recruitment, hiring, training and promotion of persons in all job classifications—on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Olin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.