Position Title: Assistant to the Provost and Dean of Faculty
The Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering strives to provide the best and most innovative engineering education to a group of outstanding and enterprising students. A recently established four-year undergraduate institution in Needham, MA, Olin College is an academic community of dedicated faculty, administrators and staff. Because of its relatively young age and size, the institution looks for individuals who can carry out their own immediate responsibilities, and contribute to other offices, functions and activities outside the normal scope of a job description. We seek employees who can handle a number of tasks at one time, who are hard working, flexible and adaptable, and who can see the big picture and reprioritize their work accordingly.
The Provost-DOF is the Chief Academic Officer, the senior administrative official responsible for the direction of the academic, student life, and related programs and services of the College. This includes responsibility for all academic programs, the faculty, student life activities, libraries, and academic computing. The Provost-DOF serves as the second in command of the College and acts for the President when the President is temporarily unable to perform his/her duties, subject to the further direction of the Board of Trustees.
Working independently, performs a broad range of highly skilled administrative tasks in support of the Provost and Dean of Faculty in a professional manner. Duties and responsibilities are varied and confidential in nature. Experience in the higher education environment and familiarity with college policies and procedures is preferred. The successful candidate will be extremely organized, possess strong oral and written communication skills, be computer proficient, demonstrate good judgment and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
Day to Day:
- Maintain the confidentiality of the office of the Provost and Dean of Faculty.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Provost and Dean of Faculty
- Manage the Provost-DOF’s calendar; prioritize his time commitments and assist the Provost-DOF in optimizing the schedule. Exercise judgment and discretion in scheduling appointments and maintaining the daily schedule.
- Organize and assume responsibility for appropriate office communications, in person, by delegation, by telephone, fax, email, etc. from all constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, Trustees, etc.
- Provide support and communication coordination for the Provost-DOF’s office with other units of the college.
- Respond to inquiries requiring knowledge of policies and guidelines, faculty appointments, etc.
- In the Provost and Dean of Faculty’s absence, ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to the appropriate staff member(s); as needed interpret requests and help implement action; make sure that information is furnished in timely manner; decide if a matter is of an important or urgent nature requiring notification of the executive.
- Oversee paper and on-line filing systems for the Provost-DOF’s office. Collect, compile and analyze information. Maintain and control confidential files and records.
- Manage appropriate bill payments and financial reimbursements.
- Assist in planning, arrangement and facilitation of a variety of meetings.
Compose or assist in preparation of printed and electronic documents, reports and presentations. Within general guidelines and without regular supervision, produce final documents formatted with correct spelling, syllabication, punctuation and grammar. Material may be confidential in nature
Work with HR and Payroll to coordinate faculty requests for student employment through a shared Google document and spreadsheet.
- Upon request from the Provost-DOF, may assign work to other clerical or secretarial employees in a non-supervisory capacity.
- Order office supplies
- PCards – Responsible reconciling PCards associated with the Office of the Provost and Dean of Faculty.
- Board of Trustees – Provide support in preparation of materials for quarterly Academic Life Committee meetings, attend AL meetings, take/transcribe minutes
- Faculty – Support Associate Deans; provide support for overall faculty administrative functions (electronic and paper files, website/catalog updates, meeting minutes, annual reviews schedules, spreadsheets, interactions with MarCom and other areas of the College.)
- Commencement – Responsible for acquiring academic regalia for the College and related functions around Commencement
- Student Academic Grants - Coordinate with the faculty/staff committee in preparation for the for fall and spring SAG process; manage the grants in communication with the students.
- Event Management – Support special events sponsored by the Provost-DOF (faculty retreats, retirement events), organize and coordinate special projects with support materials.
- Coordination with and support the Associate Deans as directed by the Provost-DOF
- Coordinate with the Director of Academic Services on personnel and financial matters as needed.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to the position or as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience: Five to six years of increasingly responsible related experience, preferably in an academic institution. Sufficient experience, and demonstrated competence, may be adequate qualifications in the absence of post-secondary education.
- Skills: Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and other software (MS Office Suite).
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Non-discrimination/Affirmative Action Statement
In accordance with its own values and with federal and state regulations, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering does not discriminate in admission, programs, services or employment—including the recruitment, hiring, training and promotion of persons in all job classifications—on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Olin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.