Position Title: Technical Support Specialist
From its inception, Olin College has sought a team of faculty, administrators and support staff who understand its mission and can help to develop this innovative college in Needham, MA. It is imperative to hire individuals who not only carry out their own immediate responsibilities, but who also can contribute to other offices, functions and activities outside the normal scope of a job description. In other words, we are looking for "team players" who understand and support the mission of the college.
Therefore, we will seek employees: who can handle a number of tasks simultaneously ; who are hard working, flexible and adaptable; who can see the big picture and reprioritize their work accordingly; who can work unsupervised and take initiative; who will look for ways to assist other staff when appropriate; who see themselves as an important member of a spirited and dedicated team; and who conduct themselves professionally in all aspects of their language, attitude, appearance and deportment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
The Technical Support Specialist will act as a help desk specialist and field technician supporting the College’s student laptop program as well as all desktop and laptop computers running various operating systems including Microsoft, macOS and Ubuntu Linux.
- Primary technical support contact for setup, installation, integration, documentation and maintenance of all end-user technology needs
- Provide support for audio/visual equipment and provide audio/visual event support
- Diagnose and resolve software and hardware problems via telephone, remotely or in person in a timely, customer-focused manner while prioritizing support requests
- Setup, install, integrate, document and maintain all College-owned end-user software applications and network license-based engineering applications
- Setup, install, document and support end-user hardware, peripherals and networked printers
- Manage life cycle of all system images, imaging and patching processes
- Write technical documents and train users in proper use of hardware, software and peripherals
- Assist in identifying, evaluating and recommending new hardware, software and technologies in support of the College’s mission
- Maintain Help Desk application (Track-It) records, prioritize support requests and assist in maintaining hardware and software inventory control
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma required
- Two years relevant technical experience supporting networked systems, devices and services in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment
- Experience using and supporting Microsoft operating systems, productivity software and cloud environments (e.g., Office 365)
- Experience using and supporting various email clients
- Experience using system imaging software (e.g., FOG, Ghost, etc.)
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, team-oriented and rapidly changing technical environment
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines and with varying degrees of technical experience
- Excellent customer service, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize support requests and needs as necessary
- Ability to work off hours occasionally as necessary
- Motivated, self-starter
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Technical Certifications desirable (A+, MCSE)
- Experience with computer management environments to support building, upgrading and patching
- Experience in an academic environment
- Familiarity using and supporting Ubuntu Linux
- Familiarity using and supporting Apple software and hardware
- Familiarity using and supporting smart devices
- Familiarity using and supporting audio/visual equipment
- Familiarity with wireless networking and client configurations
- Experience using and supporting a variety of CAD and Engineering applications
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your reason of your interest in working at Olin College of Engineering.
In accordance with its own values and with federal and state regulations, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering does not discriminate in admission, programs, services or employment—including the recruitment, hiring, training and promotion of persons in all job classifications—on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Olin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.