Requirements for Application to the 4+1 Program
1. Be on track for successful completion of all Wellesley degree requirements. Students must successfully complete their Wellesley degree before full-time enrollment at Olin.
2. Successful completion of a sufficient number of prerequisite courses at Wellesley and engineering courses at Olin to allow completion of the Olin degree in one additional year. Typically this implies that the student will have completed all science and mathematics requirements at the time of application, and will also have completed at least five engineering courses at Olin before graduating from Wellesley.
3. An overall GPA of no less than 3.0 at both Wellesley and Olin.
4. Favorable recommendations from two faculty members in science, mathematics, or engineering, including one Wellesley faculty member and one Olin faculty member.
5. A student applying for the Olin 4+1 Program must pre-apply at Wellesley no later than October 15 of her junior year. Information about the Application for Wellesley Support pre-application can be found here. Upon approval of the 4+1 Wellesley pre-application, a student would submit a 4+1 application to Olin by December 1.
These above items are minimum expectations for a viable applicant to the 4+1 program. Students should be aware that admission to the 4+1 program is selective, and meeting the minimum requirements outlined does not guarantee admission to the program.
Students who are interested in pursuing the 4+1 program should talk to Alison Black, Class Dean and STEM Advisor at Wellesley College (see contact information below), and should consider taking ENGR 160 Fundamentals of Engineering at Wellesley as early as possible. Students who believe they may be interested in 4+1 should indicate this to their advisor early in their program, in order to provide the most flexibility in planning.
Once the pre-application process is completed, the student then formally applies to Olin College for admission to the 4+1 Program. The Wellesley pre-application deadline is October 15; the Olin application deadline is December 1 of the same year.
Class Dean and STEM Advisor
Tel: (781) 283-3152
Students applying to the Olin 4+1 Program need to submit an online 4+1 application form, as well as supporting materials via US mail, to the Olin College Admission Office. The link to the online application will be provided to students who have been recommended by the Wellesley College 4+1 Committee. Our deadline for the application and all supporting materials is December 1.
Our mailing address is:
Olin College of Engineering
Office of Admission
Attn: 4+1 Program
1000 Olin Way
Needham, MA 02492
Fax number: 781-292-2210
In early December, each applicant will be invited to meet with members of the 4+1 Admission Committee. The purpose of this meeting is to answer any questions that student may have, and to give the Admission Committee a chance to meet the student in person.
Required Application Materials
A complete application includes each of the following required materials:
- 4+1 Application form
- Unofficial transcripts from Wellesley, Olin, and any other colleges the student has attended
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty - at least one from Olin and one from Wellesley
- An up-to-date CV or resume
Students who are admitted to the 4+1 Program are admitted to Olin as regular students, and as such will receive the Olin Tuition Scholarship valued at half the annual tuition for a maximum of two semesters of study.
Students admitted to this program are also welcome to apply for need-based assistance through the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Olin’s school code is 039463 and the FAFSA should be completed by February 15. Students will be awarded the Olin need-based funding for which they are eligible, as well as receive notification of their Federal Direct Loan eligibility.
Students who enroll at Olin to complete the fifth year of the 4+1 Program must live on campus in the residence halls.
If you have any questions about the application or our admission process, please contact us at email@example.com and reference the 4+1 Program in the subject.